[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 01:29:34 PST 2021

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 07:46, James Landau <savegraduation at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, it turned out that Marc was going to see RENT performed in a few
> weeks! He also told me that that song had been covered in Klingon, although
> Marc had never seen/heard the video.

I think he has seen it and has just forgotten (or at least a version of it,
if there's more than one recording or performance), because he made the
following comment about it on Facebook: "Someone actually knows how to use
Klingon numbers!" (source:
https://www.facebook.com/marc.okrand/posts/345321122223456)

what do you think of Rachel's pronunciation, grammar, and usage?

Here are the lyrics.

{vaghbIp cha'netlh vaghSaD javvatlh tup,
lo'laHbogh vaghbIp cha'netlh vaghSaD poHmey,
vaghbIp cha'netlh vaghSaD javvatlh tup.
chay' DIS DajuvlaH?

bIjuvmeH pemmey, povmey, ramjepmey, qa'vIn HIvje'mey,
'ujmey, qelI'qammey, naD, QeH ghap Dalo'laH.
vaghbIp cha'netlh vaghSaD javvatlh tup Dalo'laH.
chay' wa' yIn DIS DajuvlaH?

parmaq Dalo'laH'a'?
parmaq Dalo'laH'a'?
parmaq Dalo'laH'a'?
bIjuvmeH parmaq yIlo'.}

"525,600 minutes
525,000 moments so dear
525,600 minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife
In 525,600 minutes
How do you measure a year in the life?

How about love?
How about love?
How about love?
Measure in love"

Obviously, since it's a song, there are some liberties taken in the
translation, but the grammar is faultless. The pronunciation could have
been better, but it's quite good for a performer whom (I assume) does not
actually speak the language.

--
De'vID