[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs referring to time stamps

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Dec 10 06:50:48 PST 2021

On 12/10/2021 8:48 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> De'vID and charghwI' I still can't understand this.
>
> Suppose every klingon in the room knows that kronos is surrounded by
> aliens.
>
> And suppose that gowron knows that on monday of all those aliens the
> romulans will be the ones who attack.
>
> So he says {DaSjaj HIv romuluSnganpu'}. He doesn't use the {-'e'} on
> romuluSnganpu' because the context is clear.
>
> Now suppose another scenario where although the romulans usually don't
> attack, they will join in on the assault but without gowron specifying
> when the assault will happen.
>
> So gowron says {vabDot HIv romuluSnganpu'}.
>
> Now suppose that this "unexpected/surprising/counterintuitive" attack
> will happen on monday.
>
> Now gowron says {DaSjaj vabDot HIv romuluSnganpu'}.
>
> Isn't the last sentence in a way the sum of the previous two? Doesn't
> it combine the previous two sentences?
>
> So can't it mean too "even on monday the romulans will attack"?

Adverbials apply to verbs, clauses, or sentences, not nouns. Like
suffixes, words coming before the OVS part of the sentence are
interpreted according to context; they don't modify each other directly.

Interpreting that sentence with *even on Monday* is you choosing a
particular emphasis. It could mean

/Even on Monday, the Romulans will attack.
On Monday, even the Romulans will attack.
On Monday, the Romulans will even attack.
It's even true that the Romulans will attack on Monday./

The position of *vabDot* doesn't have anything to do with exactly what
about the sentence is unexpected. All the word means is that the action
that occurs is surprising or unexpected in some way.
//