[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: teblaw'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 6 07:24:57 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, December 04, 2021

Klingon word: 	teblaw'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	jurisdiction

AFAIK never used in a sentence or discussed.

Dos {teblaw'} refer to judicial jurisdiction while {Daq'a'} refers to political jurisdiction (i.e. "territory" so to speak)? :
   tlhIngan wo' Daq'a' bo'elpu'!
   You have entered the jurisdiction of the Klingon Empire! (ST11 deleted line)

SEE ALSO:
bo'DIj 		court [of law] (n)
  - (MO, qepHom 2018):  {bo'DIj} is the institution of the court, a judicial
    organization.
bo'DIj pa'	courtroom (n}
bo'DIj qach	courthouse (n)
bo’DIj nompuq  forensic evidence (n) (qep'a' 2018)
bo'DIj qaD  	lawsuit (n) (qepHom 2020)

wuqwI'  	juror (n)
  - (Klingon Alice, p.233): A jury is not a Klingon institution, of course, so there’s no readymade term. Maltz thought if you called a juror a {wuqwI’} (“decider”) that would get the idea across.  A jury — the panel or group of jurors — could be {wuqwI’ ghom}. And for extra clarity, you could add {bo’DIj}, as in {bo’DIj wuqwI’ ghom}.

meqba' 	[type of legal proceeding] (n)
mIwba’ 		trial (n)
  - (Klingon Alice): the process of what happens at court

loHwI' 		magistrate [lit. "administrator"] (n)
'oDwI'  		arbitrator, arbiter (n)
nguH 		witness (in court) (n)
nompuq  	authority, evidence, attestation, reference, citation (n)
ruv 		justice (n)
yoj 		judgment (n)

ghIpDIj 		court martial (v)
'oD 		arbitrate, mediate (v)
loH  		administer (v)
nguH 		testify (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last