[tlhIngan Hol] hard truths about the future

Tim Stoffel tim at lionlamb.us
Thu Dec 23 12:32:17 PST 2021

In the end, if Klingon is to continue to propper, it is going to be
passed on. I suspect everyone here hopes this won't be for some time,
but it will happen. Although some will disagree, I feel that the best
way to handle the future of the language is by a committee. This
committee is best made up of 'enthusiasts' as opposed to 'experts',
even though many enthusiasts are functionally experts. They should be
chosen by their peers, e.g. everyone on this list, puls other noted
Klingonists. The committee would do the following:

1. Create as necessary; vet, modify and approve requests for new
vocabulary.
2.Interpret the existing rules for phonology, phonotactics, syntax and
grammar. Only under exceptional circumstances would new rules be
created.
3. While working to keep the language's core principles intact, adapt
to the changes that occur in the evolution of any living language.

It may be beneficial for the committee to accept vocabulary requests
anonymously, except maybe from a movie/show/theatrical producer who
needs considerable new vocabulary for their production.

It can be debated either way if the committee wants to work mainly in
anonymity, or in the open.

In the end, when trying to preserve the intellectual ideas that went
into Klingon, and at the same time, adapting to growth and change, a
committee is the best way. That way, no one person's ideas will
dominate, and questions can be looked at from a variety of angles, just
as they are now on this list. Maybe the committee would simply be
everyone on this list.

(ducks!)
Tim Stoffel