[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rol

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 16 07:49:17 PST 2021

Klingon word: 	rol
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	beard

toDuj 'oS rol
A beard is a symbol of courage. (TKW)

molor rol chIpchu' qeylIS 'ej teq
Kahless cut off Molor’s beard  (PB)

(TKW 85):  Fighting in such close proximity to one another, a beard may be thought of by some as a disadvantage since one of the combatants may grab onto the beard of the other and draw him closer. To wear a beard, and long hair for that matter, shows that one is both brave and confident--willing to give the opponent the upper hand, and secure that one’s own skills are superior.

(qurgh, 7/28/2017 < qep’a’ 2017):  I asked [Okrand] about {jIb}, {pob}, {loch} and {rol} after there was a conversation about it in the Learn Klingon Facebook group.  {jIb} is only hair on the top of your head, {loch} is the hair on your upper lip, {rol} is the hair on your face that covers you chin/neck area, and {pob} is hair from the neck down.  Arm hair is {DeS pob}.  The words cover both the hair and the entire construction, so {rol} refers to a beard as well as the hair that makes up the beard.  However, ear hair or nose hair is talked about using {pob}, and {pob} can be used to talk about face hair or head hair but it would be considered very strange to do so.

SEE:
rol taj  		razor (n) {TNK]

SEE ALSO:
Huy' 		eyebrow (n)
chIp  		cut, trim (hair) (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last