[tlhIngan Hol] expressing baby animals (and words for dog)

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:01:53 PST 2021

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 at 18:10, James Landau <savegraduation at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I hadn't thought of saying *vighro'ghu*, *ngavyaw'ghu*,
> *qovIjghu*, or *bo'Deghghu* before. I remembered reading that -Hom was the
> standard way to name the young of animals (on this mailing list, I
> believe). -Hom creates some problems, though: if *SarghHom* is "foal", then
> how do you say "pony"? I don't know what all of you think, but I think a
> *SarghHom* would be a pony and a *Sarghghu* would be a foal.

I'm sure both that a {Qa'Hom} is a different species than a {Qa'} and that
the word is indeed {Qa'} + {-Hom}. So I don't think {-Hom} makes the name
of the young of animals. Where did you see/hear/read that this was "the
standard way" to do so?

> Then we have KLV Klingon/Standard Vocabulary - KLV
> <https://sites.google.com/a/klingonword.org/klv/klv-klingon-standard-vocabulary>,
> which uses *SarghHom* for "donkey".

I don't think the KLV "translation" project is viewed highly by most
skilled Klingon speakers (to put it politely).

--
De'vID