[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: notqa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 24 08:13:19 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	notqa'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	a large, black bird
Source: 	HQ (10:4 p4)

(HQ 10.4:4):  a large, black bird (nowhere near as large as a {qa'rol}, which is really big)

(HQ 10.4:5):  "The plural suffix for birds is usually {-mey}, the general plural suffix, as would be expected. There is a difference of opinion, however, about which plural suffix to use for a few birds capable of mimicking speech, such as the {vIlInHoD} and the {qaryoq} (and the larger {qaryoq'a'}), with some Klingons using {-mey} but others preferring {-pu'}, the plural suffix for beings capable of using language.

PUN:  a Klingon raven ("nevermore"!)

See Tremail-Naik's (Massimiliano Benini) Klingon translation of "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe at  http://web.archive.org/web/20080116143733/http://www.cs.unibo.it/~mbenini/   N.B. he translated the poem before {notqa'} was revealed by Maltz.

SEE:
notqa' pach  	Eagle's Claw (n) (BOP Haynes Manual)
  - i.e. a type of mine found on the B'rel-class Bird of Prey. (BOP Haynes)

SEE ALSO:
tIn  		be big, large (v)
qIj  		be black (v)
bo'Degh  	bird (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen