[tlhIngan Hol] xifan hol

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 09:37:07 PDT 2021

I primarily think of it as an alternate orthography used for making
searches easier, for implementing fonts, or any other situation where
Klingon's use of capitalization and digraphs is inconvenient. I don't think
of it as something anybody actually uses for writing Klingon. (Although I
can imagine someone doing it as a way to mimic internet-style writing
that's heavy on abbrevations.) Also, there are a few minor variants: some
implementations use q and k for *q *and *Q* respectively, but some do the
opposite. boQwI' uses z as a shorthand for the qaghwI', but I think most
other places use just an apostrophe.

There are also a few puns that are based on it: *tlhapragh *and* vI'Ir* are
the first two that come to mind. (The latter suggests that MO uses boQwI'
with the xifan hol option.)