[tlhIngan Hol] {'e'} of a sao in {law'} {puS} constructions

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 05:06:57 PDT 2021

I think I know this, but I'll ask anyway..

Context:

There's an officer who is unfair, insubordinate, uncooperative; "a piece of
work" as americans say.. And as soon as the enemies surround the ship he
wants to surrender too. So the captain tells him:

"you're unfair, insubordinate, uncooperative.. all this I knew, but now I
see that you're a coward too, and that is the worst of all" (meaning the
worst of his traits).

So now, suppose we wrote:

{bImaybe', bItlhIv, bIyeqqangbe'taH; Hochvam vISov. 'a DaH latlh vItlhoj..
nuch SoH 'ej 'e' qab law' Hoch qab puS}

The question is whether this use of {'e'} in a law'/puS construction could
be considered to be correct. But I think that it isn't, because in the
slots of a law'/puS construction the only thing allowed is either a noun,
or a pronoun as {jIH}, {SoH}, {ghaH}, etc, because pronouns can act like
nouns too.

But since the {'e'} of a sao can only be a pronoun, then it can't be
allowed in a law'/puS construction.

Am I right?

~ D