[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HoSghaj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 17 09:34:55 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	HoSghaj
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be powerful
Source: 	TKD
HoSghajqu'
[It's] Too potent! (i.e. Romulan Ale) (CK)

vay' DaghIjlaHchugh bIHoSghaj
Fear is power.  (TKW 109)]

HoSghaj; mupwI' rur
powerful as a hammer  (KGT)
 ["for a Klingon, a hammer is a symbol of power" (KGT 129)]

vangmo' molor HoSghajchoHqu' qeylIS 'ej SuvqangmoHbej
[translation not available] (PB)

molor HoSghaj woQ
   luDoQ
   'el chaH 'e' lupoQ
In the name
   Of Molor the Mighty,
   Demanding to get in.  (PB)

Mentioned in CK in the section on expressing opinions of Klingon sites.

N.B. one of the multi-syllabic (2 syllables) verbs.  (AFAIK there are only 4 such known, the other three being {ghIpDIj} court martial, {He'So'} stink, and  {nughI'} twist knuckle into someone's head.)

CULTURAL NOTES:
(KGT 5):  Some houses (that is, lineages) are more wealthy and powerful than others.

SEE:
HoS  	be strong (v)

SEE ALSO:
qu' 	be fierce; be great, wonderful, excellent, superlative, splendid (v. slang)
rach 	fortify, strengthen (v)
Dun 	be wonderful, great (v)
pov 	be excellent (v)
puj 	be weak (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen