[tlhIngan Hol] Objects

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Aug 22 07:59:51 PDT 2021

Thanks. This helps a lot.

The remaining thing that I wonder is that, given the right context and given the fluidity between beneficiary {-vaD} and indirect-object-grammatically-indicated-in-Object-position that is common to Klingon, I could see a conversation like:

{nuqDaq nuH?}

{vInob.}

{‘Iv Danob?}

{HoD vInob.}

I agree that under normal circumstances that {nob} would not have an indirect object in the grammatically-object position with no noun suffix, but all the reasons to shortcut the indirect object in that position in other cases apply here because of the obvious context of the thread. I also agree that the entire conversation is grammatically flawed, but easily understandable, all because of the context threaded through it.

The question is, does this ability to put an otherwise {-vaD}worthy noun in the Object position rely wholly on the specifics of common usage of the verb, the way that special locative-related verbs use {-Daq}worthy nouns as unmarked Objects, or is it more context flexible and vocabulary independent, as is suggested by the prefix trick.

I doubt we have enough evidence to be sure, one way or the other. Meanwhile, I doubt many people would have difficulty understanding the above conversation.

Then again, I doubt that we’ll ever see {QeD’e’ puqloDwI’ vIghojmoH}, even though that makes more sense to me than the canon-proven, correct {puqloDwI’vaD QeD vIghojmoH}.

The language doesn’t have to make sense according to my arbitrary ideas or proclivities. A student of English would have a LOT of suggestions about how English SHOULD work, but doesn’t, given that we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway, but we don’t park on the driveway or drive there, and we don’t drive in the parkway or park there.

Language is an arbitrary agreement among speakers of the language, or among regulating authorities, when such authorities exist. The French and Turkish speakers have such authorities. English doesn’t. Klingon does.

-charghwI’, retired.