[tlhIngan Hol] {'e'} of a sao and quotations

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Aug 16 05:28:41 PDT 2021

Interesting. A command to give a quotation.

For one thing, I’d use {ja’} instead of {jatlh} for the command, since “say” is not quite the same thing as “tell”.

Secondly, this seems like the kind of setting that would call for clipped language, since there’s probably some urgency involved. {chol jagh! HoD ja’!}

But, of course, that dodges your question.

The safer way to say what you’ve said is less intuitive than your choice:

nucholpu’ jaghpu’. jIjatlh. HoD yIja’.

Quotations in Klingon are more simply pairs of sentences next to each other. One is the quotation. The other informs you of who says it, using the verb of speech. If you are going to nest quotations, just make it three sentences. I strongly suspect that the {‘e’} is a mistake.

Also, I’m saying this now. You can add the perfective when you tell the captain, but it’s not perfective while I’m saying it. Just an opinion here.

-charghwI’, retired.