[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhIlHal

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 12 07:45:02 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, April 10, 2021

Klingon word: 	tlhIlHal
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	mine

cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH
I want to visit the dilithium mines. CK

tlhIlHal yIngev!
Sell the mine! KGT

tlhIlHal yIngIv!
Patrol the mine! KGT

rura' pente' tlhIlHalmey
Rura Penthe Mines  (MKE)

"The prisoners on Rura Penthe ... mine dilithium, required for warp propulsion systems." (TKW 190)  Prisoners sentenced to the Rura Penthe have a life expectancy of 6 months to one year. (ENT "Judgment")

Does {tlhIlhal} refer to the mineshaft only, the operation as a whole--buildings, roads, etc.--or both?

SEE:
tlhIl  		mine (v)
tlhIlwI'  		miner (n)
tlhIl  		mineral (n)

SEE ALSO:
'och 		tunnel (n)
Qargh 		fissure (n)
DIS 		cave (n)
Daqrab 		well (n)
ghevjur 	shovel (n)
laSvargh  	factory (n)

lel 		get out, take out (v);  extract?
teq 		remove (v)
voD 		drill, bore (v)
molHa’ 		dig up (like a bone or a fossil) (v)
ghaw 		excavate, dig (a hole, trench, ditch, etc.) (v)
tlhan 		dig [into] (v)
  - (qep'a' 2018):   the object is dirt or soil or a field or a road, for example, not “hole”
  - (qepHom 2019):   use {ghaw} when the object is the resulting hole; use {tlhan} when the object is the material being removed

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen