[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bI'reS

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 09:05:08 PDT 2021

Where did you get the references for the two NASM quotes?

[somehow related to the 1903 Wright Flyer in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum:]
Brothers made three usual significant air ships which lack the engine of the introduction and tested it. ????

That’s certainly the most unusual synopsis of the accomplishment of the Wright Brothers that I’ve ever seen. Did Okrand actually write that? Can anyone else make more sense of it than I can?

I’ve read several books on the Wright Brothers and am currently reading three more, so I’m interested in the topic, but this so-called sentence doesn’t really do it for me.

Yes, they built three gliders before building the powered aircraft, assuming that all the modifications of the prototypes during the three winters at Kitty Hawk can be grouped into what can be called three prototypes marked by the final version they developed at the end of each of those winters, ignoring all the intermediate versions. The first discovered adverse yaw. The second added insufficient rudders. The third added somewhat less insufficient rudders. The powered version had even less insufficient rudders (though still not quite sufficient, given the lack of independence between yaw and roll control, since the need for these controls doesn’t appear simultaneously, in a mechanically proportional degree). It wasn’t until 1908 that they started giving yaw control a degree of independence, and even then, Orville and Wilbur used different control systems to do this, even on otherwise identical Flyers.

But I digress.

And it’s a bit of a stretch to refer to what the X-15 did as “flying”. It flew pretty much like a missile flies, for tens of seconds, and then “glides” kind of like an arrow “glides" while landing, and even then, it’s somewhat of an exaggeration to call its method of eventually stopping on the ground without killing the pilot “landing”.

I have pretty much as much trouble decyphering the X-15 quote. I apologize for my apparent lack of sufficient skill with the language to make sense of it.

Earth year one nine five nine, North America's X-15 flew an introduction to an opera.

wejpuH.

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)