[tlhIngan Hol] 'op preceding plural pronouns

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Apr 11 07:33:34 PDT 2021

I think that {‘op} before a pronoun functions identically to {‘op} alone, so I have never considered adding a pronoun after {‘op}, or before it, for that matter. The same context that explains what the pronoun refers to explains what {‘op} refers to. I don’t understand what meaning the pronoun adds. It represents a level of redundancy that, while allowed in Klingon, is perhaps uncommon.

I’m not saying you can’t do this. I’m just saying that when you find yourself doing this, consider the option of omitting the pronoun and see if it fails to convey the meaning equally well, even if it fails to map, word for word, with the English (or other language) it is being translated from.

charghwI’
Sent from my iPad