[tlhIngan Hol] -vaD and -moHlaH

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Apr 7 09:28:39 PDT 2021

Your toolbox is bigger than you apparently think. If it is important to convey “I cause the animal to be able to enter the cage,” you could say:

jIHmo’ mo’ ‘ellaH Ha’DIbaH.

If you cause an action, then you are the cause of that action.

Similarly, instead of {Ha’DIbaHvaD mo’ vI’elmoH}, you could have said {jIHmo’ mo’ ‘el Ha’DIbaH}, which is what I do as a personal style of speech because I dislike the common method Klingon uses {-vaD} with {-moH}. I’m not saying it’s wrong. I’m merely saying that the alternative is perfectly acceptable, though it has limits.

This is not advice. It’s just an alternative.

If you really do want to say, “I am able to cause the animal to enter the cage,” then the alternative doesn’t work. You have to say {Ha’DIbaHvaD mo’ vI’ellaHmoH.} There’s no other way I know to combine ability and causation for the subject, and since moving causation to the action of the verb does have an alternative and keeping it with the causation does not, I’m naturally inclined to interpret {Ha’DIbaHvaD mo’ vI’ellaHmoH} to mean “I am able to cause the animal to enter the cage.”

Unless…

mo’ ‘elbejmeH Ha’DIbaH, jIvanglaH.

There are many ways…

People think I’m trying to evade grammatical issues and it seems to annoy them when more accurately, I simply want to express meanings well using the Klingon language in all its variety of ways. I’m not trying to shut down other approaches. I’m just trying to point out alternative methods so that people wishing to use the language will find themselves less entangled in the mess of overusing one tool while ignoring others that might work better for them.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.