[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: turmIq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 30 09:17:09 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	turmIq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	urine
Source: 	qep'a' 23  [2016]

(Kauderwelsch Klingonisch, p.109: in re “going to the bathroom”):  {taQbang ghIm} is the basic structure.  You can, of course, substitute {turmIq} or {qeQ} in for {taQbang} if that's what you really want to say.  So you can say things like {DaH jImej. turmIq vIghImnIS.}  Maltz said Klingons don't have euphemisms for this sort of thing.  On the other hand, there is a slang expression or idiom that's used from time to time, though mostly (but hardly always) by or to kids:  {qIvon belmoH} (as in {DaH jImej. qIvonwIj vIbelnISmoH} and the like).  You might ask a child who's a little jittery belHa''a' qIvonlIj?. Most people say qIvon, though some say qIvonDu'. Maltz says he has no idea why this expression has this slang meaning, given what he knows about his own {qIvonDu'}.  As with idioms in general, you can't substitute one word for another (unless you're playing word games).  So saying something like {qIvonwIj vIQuchnISmoH} could only refer to making your {qIvon} happy, assuming it's possible to do such a thing.

PUN: "micturate" backwards (a synonym for urinate)

SEE:
turmIq 'enDeq       urinary bladder (n) (qepHom 2018)

(Lieven, 11/19/2018):  … when I asked whether this bladder could be used with technical things (like air bladder), he agreed. So {'enDeq} is a bladder in general and the {turmIq 'enDeq} is "urinary bladder".  From this, I'm sure that {HuH 'enDeq} [gall bladder] is understandable even if we don't know whether Klingons would call it like that.

SEE ALSO:
'enDeq 		bladder (n)

(Lieven, qepHom 2018):  Strictly, the noun {'enDeq} refers to anatomy, but it can be used metaphorically in other contexts, which is the way it works in English.

puchpa'  	washroom, bathroom, toilet  (n)
taQbang  	urine,  fecal matter (n. slang)  (qep'a' 2016)
qeQ  		fecal matter (n)  (qep'a' 2016)
vuj 		expel, eject (v)

For those who missed it:  "Kauderwelsch-Band 250: Klingonisch - Wort für Wort" by Lieven L. Lietaer (Bielefeld : Reise Know-How Verlag, 2019)  See  http://klingonisch.net/kauderwelsch/ and http://klingon.wiki/De/Kauderwelsch for more information (auf deutsch natürlich!).

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen