[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: boqHa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 26 07:49:58 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, April 24, 2021

Klingon word: 	boqHa'
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	used in math for subtraction
Source: 	HQ:v9n3p9

(HQ 9.3:10):  For subtraction, the suffix {-Ha'} "undo" is attached to {boq} producing {boqHa'}, literally "dis-ally or dissociate from".  Thus, "4 - 3 = 1" would be {loS boqHa' wej; chen wa'} (literally, "three dissociates from four, one forms").  When subtracting, the subject and object cannot be reversed without changing the equation.  {wej boqHa' loS} would be "3 - 4" and the answer would be a negative number (a concept Maltz wanted to postpone for another time).

(qep’a’ 2019):  Use {Dop} to create negative numbers.  {wej Dop} "minus three" or "negative three"

SEE:
boqHa''egh  	dis-ally / dissociate from oneself (v) Used in math for division:

6 ÷ 3 = 2
wejlogh boqHa''egh jav; chen cha'
"three times, six dissociates from itself, two forms"  (HQ 9.3)

(HQ 9.3):  Reversing the dividend and the divisor changes the equation.  {javlogh boqHa''egh wej} would be "3 ÷ 6" and the answer would be a fraction

SEE ALSO:
togh 		count (v)
SIm 		calculate (v)
loch 		be a fraction of (v)
Dop  		be opposite, antithetical, contradictory (v)

mI'		number (n)
SubmaH 	fraction, ratio (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen