[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 15 08:39:10 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, April 15, 2021

Klingon word: 	Hu'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	days ago

AFAIK only appears as a bound morpheme in compound nouns.

SEE:
wa'Hu' 		yesterday (one day ago) (n)
cha'Hu' 		the day before yesterday [two days ago] (n)
wejHu' 		three days ago (n)

(Okrand, HQ 8.3:3):  The words {ret} [period of time ago] and {pIq} [period of time from now] could also be used with days, months, and years (e.g., {wej jaj ret} "three days ago", rather than {wejHu'}, but utterances of these are not particularly common, sound a bit archaic, and are usually restricted to rather formal settings.

SEE ALSO:
*leS  		days from now (n)
   wa'leS 	   tomorrow (n)
   cha'leS 	   day after tomorrow (n)
   'opleS 	   one day [indef.] (n)

Has *{leS} been lexicalized, ie. listed separately in TKD like {Hu'}?  (I don't have TKD with me.)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen