[tlhIngan Hol] expressing goddess

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Apr 13 13:41:00 PDT 2021

Okay, so a new question occurred to me… Maybe we’ve been asking the wrong question.

Do we have any sex-gendered nouns besides mother, father, and other blood relatives or spouses? Even then, Okrand slid in some odd ones, like {tey’}, which basically means “a not-gender-specific child of a same-gender sibling of one of your parents”.

If there are no non-blood-relative-or-spouse sex-gender-specific nouns, then the definitions are likely generally mail as a simple style point in Okrand’s writing, like saying, “A person must trust his instincts,” instead of “her instincts” or “his or her instincts” or “their instincts”. It’s just the way he writes them, by default.

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)