[tlhIngan Hol] some more from Maltz

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Apr 2 07:46:49 PDT 2021

On 4/2/2021 3:23 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> As a spelling convention, {wab Do} "speed of sound" is written as two
> words. When used as a measurement term ("Mach"), it's written as one
> word (wabDo). The pronunciation (and, for that matter, meaning) is the
> same. (qepHom 2016)

The difference is whether a Klingon would perceive something as a single
word or not.

In English we have the word /desktop./ As a noun, it refers to the
surface of a desk. You /can/ talk about a /desk top/ as two separate
words, describing the desk's top, but the actual name of the surface is
/desktop./

Now, English has rules about how to pronounce words that are lexicalized
compounds versus productive phrases. When someone talks about the desk's
top as /desk top,/ the word /top/ will be stressed. When talking about
the name of the surface, /desktop,/ the /desk/ is stressed. This rule is
regular in English: descriptive and ad-hoc phrases tend to be stressed
at the end; fixed names tend to be stressed at the beginning. I once
heard an explanation of this that used a clip from a Seinfeld episode:
the characters were all talking about /Chinese FOOD//,/ but the
expression has become fixed since then, and now we say /CHINESE food./
We say /ICE cream,/ not /ice CREAM./ This feature of English lets us
recognize lexicalized words just from hearing them.

The point is that there is a difference between lexicalized phrases and
simply putting words together to describe a thing. In English we note it
with stress. In Klingon we note it by spelling convention. Lexicalized
phrases may be given to us as a single word, in which case we are
justified in using it that way. But we cannot coin our own single words
because that is equal to declaring the word as something that you will
find in the dictionaries of Klingons. We don't have any of those to
reference, so we cannot make any such assertion.

(I find it very amusing that my spell-checker doesn't have /lexicalized
/in its database.)