[tlhIngan Hol] some more from Maltz

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 2 07:13:53 PDT 2021

I know that the space isn't that significant for Okrand.  That opens up the possibility for nonce expressions like {SolDeS Do} "sail(ing) speed",  {SuS Do} "wind speed" or {rapmar Do} "oar/rowing speed"  for ships;  {rutlh Do} "wheel speed" for various types of wheeled vehicles;  etc.  Spaces are far more likely when the first element is two words (e.g. {bIQ Duj} ship, {lupwI' mIr} train, {puH Duj}  car) or three words (e.g. {qam Do Duj}  bicycle) or four words (e.g. {cha' rutlh puH Duj} motorcycle) or even five words (e.g. {wa’ rutlh qam Do Duj} unicycle).

I imagine the same thing might work for the bound morpheme {ghor} meaning a type of propulsion system, so far seen in only two words:  {Hongghor} "impulse drive" and {pIvghor} "warp drive".  *{tatghor} "ion propulsion" and *{’otlhghor} "photonic propulsion, photon drive" proposed on the List so I can  envision *{SISghor} "steam drive/propulsion" or even *{SuSghor} "wind propulsion".

BTW, since it comes up so often... have you and Okrand come up with an explicit way to refer to the space between words?  {‘olQan} "gap"  is the obvious choice:

(qep'a' 2018):   like the space between your teeth or the area between rows of seats in a theater, but it (and {‘olQanmey}) can be used for the space in a room, space on a desk, etc. A verb commonly used with {‘olQan} is {‘uch}. This generally means hold, grasp, but when the object is {‘olQan} it’s often translated "occupy" or "take up".

... but Okrand might prefer using a verb such as {chev} "separate" -- as in {chevwI' tlhoy'} "territorial wall" (literally a "separator wall").  *{chevwI' 'olQan} perhaps?

--
Voragh