[tlhIngan Hol] some more from Maltz

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 00:23:06 PDT 2021

Am 01.04.2021 um 23:19 schrieb Steven Boozer:
> Hmm…
>
> *qam Do             “foot speed”

I always thought that was a very clear and obvious parsing of the word.
What else would it be? [qam {Do Duj}] "speed vessel of the foot?"

> FWIW:
>
> qughDo               cruising speed
> wabDo                 speed of sound
> gho'Do                 sublight (speed)
>
> Note that these are one word, not two.

Talking about this, the point of having a space in a compound noun is
something that WE had observed ourselves, it was not something that
Okrand thought about initially. As Klingon was mainly intended as a
spoken language, the space was not important. You would not hear any
difference.

This is not a direct quote, but that's what Okrand told me.

In addition to that, there is a difference in the example of {wab Do}.
Now, this is a direct quote:

As a spelling convention, {wab Do} "speed of sound" is written as two
words. When used as a measurement term ("Mach"), it's written as one
word (wabDo). The pronunciation (and, for that matter, meaning) is the
same. (qepHom 2016)

See also:
http://klingon.wiki/En/Spacing

--