[tlhIngan Hol] Beginner questions - SAO, SAS and pronouns

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 23:51:28 PDT 2020

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 22:57, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 9/28/2020 4:40 PM, SuStel wrote:
>
> “May Klingons endure!”
>
> That's one possible interpretation. Here's another: it's Clipped Klingon,
> short for *tlhIngan maH. mataHjaj!*
>
> And yet another: a noun has elided: *tlhIngan maH. taHjaj ghu'vam!*
>
> Or a more specific one: *tlhIngan maH. taHjaj wo'!*
>
> Or maybe this is an example of a verb whose subject is just so well
> understood that it's never actually stated, like when a Klingon feels water
> falling from the sky and says* SIS.* What is the subject of *SIS?*
> Nothing specific, but we understand the sentence all the same.
>
> Or another: it's really *tlhIngan maHtaHjaj** May we continue to be
> Klingons.*

This was the original intended interpretation. Qov retroactively changed it
into two sentences because the Appendix to TKD says, in Sec. 4.2.9, that
when {-jaj} is used, "there is never a Type 7 aspect suffix". (This rule
has been contradicted in canon by {wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran} on KGT p.25-26).

--
De'vID