[tlhIngan Hol] can I say "they obey the jurisdiction of their superiors" ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Sep 28 06:17:02 PDT 2020

On 9/28/2020 8:14 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> dictionary.com vInaw'pu', 'ej pa' De'vam vIlaDpu':
>
> jurisdiction (noun):
>
> * the right, power, or authority to administer justice by hearing and
> determining controversies.
> * power; authority; control:
>     He has jurisdiction over all American soldiers in the area.
> * the extent or range of judicial, law enforcement, or other authority:
>     This case comes under the jurisdiction of the local police.
> * the territory over which authority is exercised:
>     All islands to the northwest are his jurisdiction.
>
> vaj lughba' {mochpu'chaj teblaw lulob}.

The presence of a particular sense of a word in an English dictionary
doesn't prove that that sense is included in the Klingon word's meaning.
However, if we lack any restriction on the matching senses of a Klingon
word, there's no reason to use any sense that seems warranted. All we
know is *teblaw'* /jurisdiction (n),/ so you may as well use it with any
sense you feel is appropriate.