[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan Hol vs Qo'noS Hol

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 23 08:19:50 PDT 2020

We know there is a {tlhIng yoS} Klingon District:

(STEnc. [1994]):  A district or city on the Klingon Homeworld. The renegade Korris spoke disparagingly of “the traitors of Kling.” (TNG “Heart of Glory”) At the time the episode was written, *Kling* was intended as the name of the Klingon homeworld. Once the episode was filmed, it was realized that the name sounded pretty silly, so later scripts simply referred to “the Homeworld.” The Homeworld was finally given a name in ST6, when it was called {Qo'noS}, pronounced *Kronos*.

SuStel is right:  We don’t know who or what *Kling* is.  Some places on Earth are named after culture heroes:  e.g. Ciudad Juarez, Ho Chi Minh City, Washington D.C., Leningrad/St. Petersburg, San Francisco, St. Louis.

Any confirmed examples from Trek?  I can only think of Sherman’s Planet {SermanyuQ}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons