[tlhIngan Hol] does -jaj have the "may your request be granted" meaning ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Sep 30 08:03:16 PDT 2020

On 9/30/2020 9:51 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SoS tu'lu', 'ej bIghHa'Daq ghaHtaH puqloDDaj'e'. puqloDDaj jonHa'meH
> voDleH, voDleH qoy'choH SoS, 'ej tagha' Qochbe' voDleH, vaj jatlh:
>
> "may your request be granted".
>
> mu'tlheghvam wImughmeH, maqon: {qaSjaj chaballIj}. lugh'a' {-jaj} lo'vam ?

This is a peculiar circumlocution probably related to the station of the
speaker, not typical grammar. A child asking a parent for a cookie won't
hear "May your request be granted." I'm not sure that you'd hear it in
English in this form, even from royalty. Without any information that
Klingon upper echelons speak in a such a way, I wouldn't do it. The
emperor might reply *vIjonHa'*/I release him/ or *jonHa'lu' 'e'
vIchaw'*/I permit him to be released/ or even just *jonHa'lu'*/he is
released/he will be released./

If someone says *qaSjaj* /may it happen,/ they're not commanding that it
be done or saying it will happen in the future. It's just the expression
of a wish or desire on the part of the speaker: /I hope it happens./
//