[tlhIngan Hol] excuse me, but how the jay' does -'eghmoH actually work ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 18 06:18:33 PDT 2020

On 9/18/2020 8:58 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> qaStaHvIS QIn tlheghvam, jIHvaD qay'pu' wa': chay' {quv
> luHutlh'eghmoHpu' romuluSngan} mu'tlhegh yajnISlu'. 'op rep ret, vay'
> Daj vIQubpu'. 'ej chaq jIHvaD mu'tlheghvam qay' QIjlaHchu' vay'vam.
> pelaD.
>
> HoH
> kill

Yes.

> HoH'egh
> commit suicide
> (kill oneself)

Yup.

> jIHoH'eghmoH
> I cause someone unspecified to commit suicide
> (I cause someone unspecified to kill himself)

Ummm... maybe? It's all well to suggest that suffixes in a *-moH* verb
might apply to entities other than the ones they're supposed to
according to the rules of TKD, but in this word there's not even a
/hint/ that there's someone else involved. I don't think you can
reliably say that this word means what you say it means, let alone go on
to base a linguistic formula on it.

> luHoH'eghmoH
> they cause him/her to commit suicide
> (they cause him/her to kill himself/herself)

This, at least, has the benefit of actually referencing multiple parties.

> vaj..
>
> quv luHutlh'eghmoHpu' romuluSngan
> the romulans cause the honor to lack itself
>
> chaq QIjlaw'ghachvam 'oH mu'tlhegh wa'DIch QIjchu'ghach'e'.

Eh. I'm not convinced. I'd rather reword than trust to this. Instead of
*quv luHutlh'eghmoHpu' romuluSngan,* I'd say *quvHa''eghmoHpu'
romuluSnganpu'*/The Romulans dishonored themselves./