[tlhIngan Hol] excuse me, but how the jay' does -'eghmoH actually work ?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 07:43:05 PDT 2020

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 at 16:18, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> To get the discussion started, here's what I have in my notes:
>
> (st.k 11/1997):  For example, there is an entry for "commit suicide" just
> in case anyone wants to look that word up; but the Klingon equivalent is
> simply {HoH'egh}, literally "kill oneself" ({HoH} "kill" plus Type 1 verb
> suffix {-'egh} "oneself") ... Maltz reports having heard both {quv'eghmoH}
> "he/she honors him/herself", which follows the expected order (verb-Type
> 1-Type 4: {quv} "be honored", {-'egh} "oneself", {-moH} "cause") as well as
> the weird {quvmoH'egh} ....
>
> (KGT 117):  Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for
> example, {tuj} [be hot]) is used in the imperative form, the suffixes
> {-'egh} (reflexive suffix) and {-moH} (cause) are used as well:
> {yItuj'eghmoH} (Heat yourself!—that is, "Cause yourself to be hot!"),
> {yItaD'eghmoH!} (Freeze yourself!--that is, "Cause yourself to be frozen!").
>
> I know of one other example:
>
>   muptaHvIS tay''eghmoH QeHDaj Hoch
>   All his rage focused in one blow (PB)

FYI: This is on pages 158-159.

> Anyone know of any others?

{jItach'eghmoH} - From Lieven's email to this mailing list dated June 9 of
this year. It was explained that it would be used instead of {jItach} under
some circumstances:

--- begin quote ---
You could use {jItach'eghmoH} if there were a particular struggle or effort
or accomplishment or something like that involved, something that might
prevent you from turning yourself over or that's making it particularly
hard to do.
--- end quote ---

--
De'vID