[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "one of these people"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 10 07:36:02 PDT 2020

"One of NOUNS/PRONOUN" in canon:

wa' yIHoH.  jISaHbe'.
Kill one of them.  I don't care which. (ST3)

wa' yIHoH
Kill one (of them)!  (TKD)
["The preceding sentence is grammatically correct even without the {wa'} because the prefix {yI-} indicates a singular object. The {wa'}, therefore, is used for emphasis only." (TKD 54)]

qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon virtues. (S13)

No examples AFAIK of "one/two/three, etc. *of these/those* NOUNS".  SuStel is right:  Rely on context.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons