[tlhIngan Hol] numbers and inherently plural nouns

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Sep 2 14:16:53 PDT 2020

Great response.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this, but not recently.

I think a lot of it can simply be a matter of personal writing (or speaking) “style”. If you ALWAYS use the plural suffix on any plural noun, that speaks loudly in terms of your intentional style, and it’s likely exceptional from the general norm. Similarly, if you always omit the plural suffixes, you are similarly adhering to a style that is probably exceptional.

For myself, I make a point of using plural suffixes if I’m clarifying that something is plural when it’s not obvious or when the plurality of it is significant to my intended expression, and I tend to omit it any other time. It’s also possible to use a plural suffix to emphasize the “gender” of the plural noun (not sexual gender, but grammatical gender of “uses language/body part/anything else”.

I don’t think it’s ever wrong to omit the plural suffix or to use it, for any specific utterance, though it can be confusing or vague in some cases to omit it, and just seems somewhat chatty and excessive to always use it.

The revelation for me, given what you posted just now, is that it might actually be allowable and useful to use plural suffixes with plural/collective nouns. Consider:

ray’pu’
ray’mey
ray’Du’

In one word, you tell whether you are aiming at people, more specifically at certain body parts, or maybe just their ships.

I mean, maybe I’m aiming at Romulans, or maybe I won’t even fire if I can’t get in a good head shot, or maybe I’m a pacifist, determined to shoot the weapons out of their hands, ‘cuz, hey, my disrupter doesn’t HAVE a STUN setting, right?

You’ve just expanded my capacity to express with concise specificity.

My day just improved. I’m smiling in my mask, prepared for a long walk home...

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.