[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhIn

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 16 08:31:51 PDT 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, October 16, 2020

Klingon word: tlhIn
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be particular, individual
Source: qepHom 2017

(qepHom 2017 p.18):  Note that "individual" in this definition does not mean simply "single, separate" but rather something like "be attributable to something or someone" or "be uniquely associated with something or someone".

DujwIj tlhIn
my particular ship, my own ship (qepHom 2017)

betleHlIj vIneHbe', betleHwIj tlhIn vIghaj
I don't want your bat'leth, I have my own bat'leth (qepHom 2017)

jagh Duj tlhIn legh HoD
The captain sees the enemy's own ship. (qepHom 2017)

HoD Duj tlhIn legh HoD
The captain sees the captain's own ship. (qepHom 2017)

HoD qan Duj tlhIn legh HoD Qup
The young captain sees the old captain's own ship. (qepHom 2017)

HoDlI' Duj tlhIn legh HoDwI'
My captain sees your captain's own ship. (qepHom 2017)

DujDaj tlhIn legh HoD
The captain sees his/her own ship. (qepHom 2017)

PUN:
John Ford's *klin* from his novel "The Final Reflection", i.e. Ford or Okrand's own version of Klingon? [anyone remember who suggested this?]

SEE ALSO:
le' 		be special,  be exceptional (v)
ghaj 		have, possess, own (v)

--