[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'enteD

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 11:18:56 PDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:56 AM Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> I usually love to take on challenging translations, but “be excellent to
> each other” seems jargonesque among a subculture which chooses words in a
> way that is intended to be poetically beyond the normal meaning of the
> words. You’d use the phrase as much to identify yourself as being in the
> club as you’d use it to actually mean anything in particular.
>
> Since I’m not in the club, I’m not sure what it’s intended to mean.
>
> My guess would be something like {Qorghchuqchu’}, but as an outsider, I
> could easily be misinterpreting the original intent.

You're more or less correct. "Be excellent to each other" just means "be
kind to each other, treat each other well", etc. just with the idiom of
80s/90s "California dude" slang.

The notion of "being kind to someone" is a little bit of an issue for
translating the sentiment into Klingon, but I think the main translation
issue here is expressing the notion of "each other" in a sentence role
other than direct object. Perhaps something like *Hoch latlhvaD peqejHa'!*
"Be un-mean to everybody else!".