[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bIS'ub

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Oct 19 07:50:02 PDT 2020

It strikes me that {bIS’ub} and {pIrmuS} are words that, like “animal” and {Ha’DIbaH} would be nearly impossible to distinguish between the pair of words by lipreading. Given that Okrand’s early work with the Star Trek, even before working on the Klingon language involved coming up with Vulcan words that would lip sync to video shot in English, I wonder…

{pIrmuS} took form as a pun based on Pirimus and Thisby, the play-within-a-play in Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream because the inner character Pirimus was played by the outer play’s character named Bottom.

But what does {bIS'ub} come from?

Maybe just random sounds, maybe some other pun, or maybe Okrand built in the ability to fix this after the fact if he ever got it wrong in some future movie...

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.