[tlhIngan Hol] pluralizing body parts detached from the body

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Oct 15 06:16:15 PDT 2020

On 10/15/2020 8:49 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> pa'logh {veDDIr} rIchlu'taHvIS, jatlh s.k. 1998.03.23: "the plural of
> this word is {veDDIrmey} rather than {veDDIrDu'}".
>
> 'a pa' {DIr} rIchlu'taHvIS, jatlh s.k. 1998.03.23: "this word takes
> the suffix {-Du'} when it refers to skin still on the body, and {-mey}
> otherwise".
>
> maj; DaH ghe''orDaq De'vam vorgh wIngeH, 'ej mu'tlhegh veb wIbuS..
>
> "the warrior cooks sheep legs in the camp fire"
>
> mu'tlheghvam wImughtaHvIS, nuq wIlo'nIS ? {DI'raq 'uSDu'} {DI'raq 'uSmey} ghap ?

You failed to quote the relevant part:

    Thus {DIrmey} "skins"  and {veDDIrmey} "pelts" are not (or, perhaps
    better, are no longer) body parts, but rather are materials from
    which things (clothing or blankets, for example) may be made.
    They've lost their association with the creatures that originally
    had them.

A skin, in the context of removing it from an animal's body, is a body
part. A skin, in the context of a material used for hangings, blankets,
and clothing, is not a body part. Likewise with pelts.

The question then becomes whether turning body parts into food changes
them from body parts to non-body parts. My initial reaction is no: we
have *tIqnagh lemDu'*/tknag hooves/ from KCD. I can't think of any other
food item from a body part that has been pluralized in canon.