[tlhIngan Hol] describing baby animals

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Oct 14 11:48:11 PDT 2020

I completely agree with SuStel about “empress”. {voDleH be’} looks like “the emperor’s woman/the woman of the emperor”. {be’ voDleH} looks like “the woman’s emperor/the emperor of the woman”, like maybe women have a different emperor than men do? One is the “man’s emperor” and the other is the “woman’s emperor”?

Klingons don’t have a separate word for female warriors, yet there are obviously female warriors.

Ditto for ambassadors, captains, or any other occupation/rank title.

If you want to stress that an emperor is female, you need to describe it in contextually linked statements. You can’t compress that into a single noun phrase in Klingon by any means I know.

Basically, if you’ve done whatever it takes to be emperor, your sexual gender is less important to people than your rank.

And if the gender of the emperor is really important to you, it becomes important for you to know the emperor very personally, because inappropriate comments or gestures could have undesirable consequences.

If we ever get a female president, she won’t be a *presidentress*. She’ll be a president. This is like that.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.