[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIve'Da'

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 11:39:41 PDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 2:23 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 10/12/2020 2:04 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:45 AM Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the source.  I was perusing the qep'a' 2020 new words list
>> over the weekend and discovered another one {DItroy'} Detroit.
>>

> Interesting example of using a glottal stop to transliterate a "t" in a
> syllable that otherwise already ends in a consonant.
>
> The final *t* in *Detroit* is not aspirated the way a Klingon *t* always
> is. A glottal stop is actually closer in sound to the unaspirated *t.*

Aspiration doesn't seem to play much of a role in transliterations. In the
case of "Detroit", you can't just transliterate the final syllable as *-oyt*,
because -*oyt* isn't an allowed syllable ending in Klingon phonotactics.
Sometimes, Okrand deals with this (consonant after diphthong) by adding
another syllable: "Deutsch" (in "Deutschland") -> **Doych* -> *DoyIch*. But
in this case, since *'* is similar to "t", and *-oy'* is an allowed Klingon
syllable ending, you can just do that.