[tlhIngan Hol] vaj and meqvammo' difference

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Oct 9 06:54:46 PDT 2020

On 10/9/2020 9:42 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> “One of the hostages is a Klingon” is not a reason the Federation will
> be sending a rescue ship of its own. The Klingon is probably an
> exception to the reason the Federation is sending the rescue ship.
> They probably wouldn’t specifically seek to rescue a Klingon, but they
> would send a rescue ship for the others. Still, given the context that
> there are federation people among the hostages, one can conclude that
> the Federation will be sending a rescue ship.

The full exchange was inappropriately clipped in that example, which is
why I didn't reply to it here.

Vixis: tlhIngan ghaH wa' vub'e'.
Klaa: latlh?
Vixis: wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan.
Klaa: vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'.

Klaa was replying to the news that one of the hostages was a Terran, not
that one was a Klingon. In this case, /because of this reason/ could
actually be used here if we didn't already have *vaj.*

I still find the use of *meqvammo'* extremely clumsy, however. It often
doesn't make sense until you squint at a sentence long enough to realize
that something has been presented as a reason for something else. With
*vaj,* on the other hand, you don't have to recognize something as a
reason. You just have the cue that the sentence is a conclusion of some
sort.
**