[tlhIngan Hol] vaj and meqvammo' difference

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Oct 6 08:13:19 PDT 2020

  On 10/6/2020 9:38 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> {vaj} {meqvammo'} bopbogh vay''e' vIyajbe'.
>
> vaj = so, then, thus, in that case
> meqvammo' = because of this reason
>
> jIjatlh vIneH: "I was hungry so I ordered a pizza".
>
> jIghungpu'; vaj pItSa' vIvunpu'
> jIghungpu'; meqvammo' pItSa' vIvunpu'.
>
> chay' pIm cha' mu'tlheghvam ?

Just a few thoughts, not an answer:
When in doubt, always look at the very first usage of a word:

ST3:
Valkris: Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej. "You will find it useful."
Kruge: vaj Daleghpu'. "Then you have seen it?"

ST5:
tlhIngan ghaH wa' vub'e'. "One of the hostages is a Klingon."
[...]
vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'. "That means the Federation will be sending
a rescue ship of its own."

In both cases, {vaj} is a conclusion, it never means the same as
{meqvammo'}, which focusses on a given reason to do something.

(By the way, I very often use the phrase {ngoDvammo'} "Because of that
fact", roughly meaning "that's why".)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"