[tlhIngan Hol] does -jaj have the "may your request be granted" meaning ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Oct 1 07:08:46 PDT 2020

There have been a remarkable number of Klingon Bible Translation efforts, often driven by personal passion. Of these, I know of one completed translation of the New Testament, often criticized as slap-dash. One was started as a very serious, academic venture, working from original texts in original languages, but that was never finished. Several others have posted here piecemeal.

I think it’s useless to work from English translations because the text is so remarkably stylized, and it’s been through so many translations and interpretations to get to English, and it essentially lacks any contemporary equivalent in terms of things that people write. It’s not a novel. It’s not a documentary. It could be interpreted as a fantasy or a history, but it doesn’t fit either category well. Myth? There’s often a knee-jerk reaction against it being referred to as a myth because all myths are fictional lies, and THIS one is the TRUTH, right?

People who read the Bible already have taken from it what they will. They will not get more from a Klingon translation. You may find personal satisfaction from the act of doing it, since the process of translation may open your mind to shades of meaning that you have not already explored, but that’s really very personal, like translating poetry, which is not something that really works in a committee/community setting. It’s personal.

Bible and poetry translation both tend to get more eye-rolls than zealous support here, because they are really too personal for this setting, in my very personal opinion. Others are free to disagree.

We could really use more original Klingon literature. Qov is queen of that effort. We could use more like her.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.