[tlhIngan Hol] don't pay the ferryman

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 27 12:54:23 PDT 2020

Thanks for checking.  Perhaps I missed it, but this doesn’t mention how Charon became the ferryman of the dead, only that he was – which is what I remembered.  I looked at WikiPedia and discovered another ferryman:

    Phlegyas, angry at Apollo for killing his daughter, torched the Apollonian
    temple at Delphi, causing Apollo to kill him with his arrows and condemn
    him to severe punishment in the lower world. […]  In the Aeneid of Virgil,
    Phlegyas is shown tormented in Tartarus in the Underworld, warning
    others not to despise the gods.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegyas

This is a bit closer to what we know of Kortar:  According to legend Kortar, the "first" Klingon, and his mate destroyed the gods who made them and turned the heavens into ashes. (DS9 "You Are Cordially Invited...") As punishment he was condemned to ferry the souls of the dishonored dead over the River of Blood to the gates of Gre'thor. (VOY "Barge of the Dead")   Cf. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kortar for more details.

__
Voragh