[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIve'Da'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 12 13:26:33 PDT 2020

When I saw {DItroy’} I thought Okrand was attempting to render the French pronunciation – sort of! - or perhaps an odd mix of French and English.  Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Pontchartrain_du_D%C3%A9troit> was originally a French fort founded in 1701.

Or not wanting to add an extra vowel he could also have simply dropped the final consonant, such as {'entepray'} Enterprise, {lIHtentay’} Liechtenstein and {‘oSteray’} Österreich.  He routinely does this with Terran names ending in –land:  {DoyIchlan} Deutschland, {ne'Derlan} Netherlands, {'Inglan} England, {SIqotlan<http://www.klingonwiki.net/bin/view/Word/SIkotlan>} Scotland, {nu'SIylan} New Zealand and {‘ISlan} Iceland.

__
Voragh