[tlhIngan Hol] Pronunciation of words ending in "ngan"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 5 09:15:01 PDT 2020

On 10/5/2020 11:43 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> While we enjoy working in the fantasy world of the Klingon race as
> real, it’s good to keep in mind that Okrand works with actors,
> directors, and makeup artists (the the prosthetic teeth that Klingon
> actors often, but not always wear), and whatever shows up on the movie
> screen is always right.

Only if Okrand explains it. If he doesn't explain it, then any deviation
from what he has explained may simply be an individual's idiosyncrasy or
error.

For instance, in Star Trek V, Vixis says *tlhIngan 'aH wa' vub'e'.* She
mispronounces *'oH.* From just this, you can't conclude that *'aH* is an
acceptable alternative to *'oH* or that some cohorts find it so or
anything of the kind.

> Okrand can make up rules for syllabic emphasis, but if an actor mauls
> the pronunciation, emphasis, or natural speech rhythm, it becomes canon.
It becomes a canonical example of something that someone has said. That
doesn't mean we should derive rules from it. Have you never misspoken or
mispronounced something?

> taH pagh…. [long pause] … taHbe’!

Here's the clip: https://youtu.be/HsCVuO1yeJc?t=25

There's no long pause there. And if there were, what would that mean?
That you have to put a long pause between the *pagh* and the *taHbe'?*
Really?