[tlhIngan Hol] Etymology of {De'wI'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Oct 3 11:12:55 PDT 2020

On 10/3/2020 12:37 PM, SCOTT wrote:
> I am curious about the etymology of {De'wI'} ("computer"). {De'} is a noun meaning "data." {-wI'} is, of course, both a noun suffix ('my") and a verb suffix ("thing which does").
>
> Normally, I would expect a noun to to take a nouns suffix. That would make {De'wI'} "my data," hardly a likely translation of "computer."
>
> It seems, rather, that the noun {De'} is taking the verb suffix, making it "thing which... datas (?)." Is that, in fact, what is happening here? If so, are there other known cases of nouns taking verb suffixes, or of verbs taking noun suffixes?

A similar word is *DeghwI'*/helmsman,/ which makes one really want to
translate *Degh* as /helm (v),/ but we have no such word. Likewise,
*De'wI'* /computer/ makes one want to translate *De'* as /compute (v),/
but we also have no such word.

See TKD section 3.2.3 "Other complex nouns" for why we can't analyze
these nouns this way. We can't do the etymological research called for
because Klingons aren't real.

I wonder if the Old Klingon text in /paq'batlh/ has any illuminating
examples of such words. This would be an interesting philological study...