[tlhIngan Hol] nuq'e' / 'Iv'e'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 20 15:51:10 PST 2020

On 11/20/2020 5:23 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> Meanwhile, I’m trying to remember where Okrand made sentences that
> were consistently in the form:
>
> {X-Daq <noun> <pronoun>-taH}

He hasn't. Locative "to be" sentences are of the form:

X-Daq <pronoun> <topic>'e'
or
X-Daq <pronoun>-taH <topic>'e'

> It seemed important to put {-taH} on the pronoun. So, why isn’t it
> {nIHDaq ‘oHtaH puchpa’’e’.}?

Okrand recently commented on this. He said it's not required, but there
is a tendency to put *-taH* on pronouns when the object is considered
only temporarily in the given location.

So *nIHDaq 'oH puchpa''e'* because the bathroom doesn't change its
location, but *pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH HoD'e'*//because the captain tends to
move to other places besides his or her quarters.