[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'er'In

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Nov 10 08:32:10 PST 2020

It’s interesting that since there is no definition for which end of a stick gets the name {‘er’In} or {megh’an}, the example {naQ megh'an ‘er’In ghap yI’uch}, {naQ ‘er’In yI’uch}, and {naQ megh'an yI’uch} all have exactly the same meaning.

The assumption, of course, is that a stick has exactly two ends. Otherwise, if you included branching twigs, you’d need a third noun for the third end. Given the Klingon love of the number three, I’m half surprised that word doesn’t exist. If it referred to the end of the stick from which the other two sticks fork, it might sound a lot like *mom*...

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.

> On Nov 10, 2020, at 11:07 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, November 10, 2020
> Klingon word: 'er'In
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: end (of stick, rope, etc.), other end from {megh'an}
> Source: HQ:v12n2p6
> _______________________________________________
> naQ 'er'In yI'uch. 
> Grasp the end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)
> naQ 'er'In yI'uchHa'. 
> Let go of the end of the stick. (HQ 12.2)
> naQ megh'an 'er'In je tI'uch 
> naQ 'er'In megh'an je tI'uch
> Grasp both ends of the stick.
> ("grasp the end and the other end of the stick") (HQ 12.2)
> naQ megh'an 'er'In ghap yI'uch 
> naQ 'er'In megh'an ghap yI'uch
> Grasp either end of the stick. 
> ("grasp the end or the other end of the stick") (HQ 12.2)  
> (HQ 12.2:8):  This can refer to either end of the rope, stick or whatever, but once you arbitrarily choose an end to call {megh'an}, the OTHER end is called {'er'In}.  Before you make this initial reference, either end can be called either {'er'In} or {megh'an}.  
> (HQ 12.2:7-8):  For the end of a longish enclosed space that one is typically inside of or experiences from the inside, such as a corridor, tunnel, or conduit (say, a Jefferies tube or a branch of the sewers of Paris), a different word is used: {qa'rI'}.  This is the only word; it's used for both (or all) ends.  The open entryway leading into such a space is called a {Din}.  If there's a door there, it's referred to by the usual word for door, {lojmIt}.  {qa'rI'} is also used for the end of bounded space which is seen as having length even if it is not enclosed space. Thus, it is used for the end of a road, the end of a bridge, the end of a long field. (Maltz didn't think it would mean much of anything to refer to the {qa'rI'} of a square field.)  On the other hand, if a bridge is under construction and lies halfway across a river or gorge or freeway, it may be said to have a {megh'an} (or {'er'In}). One could, in theory, hang a sign or flag from the {megh'an} (or {'er'In"), but one could walk on this incomplete bridge only as far as the {qa'rI'}.
> SEE:
> megh'an  	end (of stick, rope, etc.),  other end from {'er'In} (n)
> qa'rI'  		end (of corridor, tunnel, conduit, Jeffries tube, sewer, road, bridge, long field, etc.) (n)
> PUN: 
> At qep'a' 2003 Okrand revealed that his nieces, Erin and Meghan, are twins and that Kari (qa'rI') is their mother.  “if anyone is wondering why {Din}, {qa'rI'}, {megh'an}, and {'er'In} sound like people names, it's because they are. (Dean, Kari, Megan, and Erin are members of Marc Okrand's family.)” (De’vID, 3/29/2019)
> latlh 		(an) other one (n)
> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
> _______________________________________________
> tlhIngan-Hol mailing list
> tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org
> http://lists.kli.org/listinfo.cgi/tlhingan-hol-kli.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20201110/c8c3d92b/attachment-0003.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list