[tlhIngan Hol] nuq'e' / 'Iv'e'

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Nov 20 13:55:48 PST 2020

I’ve always been curious as to why the sentence wasn’t {nuqDaq puchpa’ ‘oHtaH?}

The answer would be to point down the hall and say {nIHDaq puchpa’ ‘oHtaH} (sung to the tune of “Theeeere’s a Bathroom, On The Right”, a.k.a. “There’s a Bad Moon On The Rise”).

It seems weird to answer {nIHDaq ‘oH puchpa’’e’.} It’s just different from all the other “to be” sentence structures. It would be like saying {maH tlhIngan’e’} instead of {tlhIngan maH.}

{nuqDaq} is not the thing that is synonymous with bathroom. It’s the place the bathroom is being. We usually handle that with {X-Daq ‘oHtaH.} We usually use {-‘e’} when we have a pronoun between two nouns, neither of which is a locative.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.