[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: toDSaH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 19 07:20:39 PST 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, November 19, 2020

Klingon word: toDSaH
Part of speech: excl
Definition: (curse) epithet, insult
Source:

I don't have TKD with me but I imagine it's from the Addendum.  Can someone check?

(CK):  This is something one Klingon would call another if they weren't on the best of terms.

(Keith R.A. DeCandido's 2001 novel "Diplomatic Implausibility"):  Insult with no direct translation.

Spelled *tohzah* in the ST Encyclopedia [1994].  {toDSaH} was first heard in TNG "The Defector", where verteran Trek actor James Sloyan pronounced it /to-ZAH/:

Defecting Romulan General Alidar Jarok sees Worf in Enterprise's sick bay and asks Riker, "Tell me, how do you allow this Klingon *pahtk* to walk around in a Starfleet uniform?"  Worf grunts something threatening and Jarok replies, "Get this *tohzah* out of my sight!"  Riker comments smugly that "only a *veruul*" would say that, thus trumping Jarok's knowledge of Klingon curses with his own knowledge of Romulan.  Jarok was amused.  (TNG "The Defector")

     You taught me language; and my
     profit on’t Is, I know how to curse.  (Caliban, "The Tempest")

For the last decade or so I haven't kept up with my Klingon cursing.  Does anyone know what Okrand might have said - perhaps in passing - about the various {mu'qaDmey}?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons