[tlhIngan Hol] action based language

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:13:41 PST 2020

I think one of the reasons the “Klingon is verb-centric” slogan came about was – as both Lieven and SuStel have brought up – to shift the focus away from word-for-word literal translations. “Verb-centric not noun-centric” was just convenient shorthand for Beginner’s Grammarians tired of having to explain this in detail again and again.  Newbies often go through a “Klinglish” phase where they obsess over creating missing nouns – e.g. *{muSHa’qu’ghachwIj} (!!)  – instead of just considering another way of rendering the general idea.

Lieven (aka our "Klingon Teacher from Germany"), have you noticed a similar fixation on missing nouns by German-speaking newbies?
__
Voragh