[tlhIngan Hol] action based language

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Nov 26 07:13:51 PST 2020

Am 10.11.2020 um 15:31 schrieb Will Martin:
> The German version is notoriously bad, especially in
> the glosses, which very frequently stray by defining words by what
> Americans would likely consider to be the least likely, most restrictive
> stretch of a synonym.
>
> I haven’t heard anyone criticize any of the other versions as severely
> as I’ve heard critiques of the German version. Germans apparently prefer
> the English version.

I'd like to add that I have corrected the German version in 2013, so I
can now also recommend to use the German version, as long as one takes
the updated version. The old, bad version is out of print so the chances
are reduced to get the bad version, unless found on second hand stores.

(As a side effect, I am still very proud to say that my name is printed
on the introduction page of the Klingon dictionary. I never thought this
would ever happen when I started leanring Klingon :-) )

The original German translation really was bad, not only using unlikely
synonyms, but also partially have wrong translations and even opposite
meanings ("...is never used" turned out as "...is always used").

There was a long article about this in HolQeD entitled "Trouble with
tree trunks."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"